Thursday, February 4, 2010

Never let me go, Kazuo Ishiguro.

Argh... I feel so unsettled after reading this book. The introduction at the back of the book definitely didn't prepare myself for what's inside. The first few chapters seemed pretty normal although there were hints that the story is not what I thought it would be. As the story progresses, I started to connect the dots and I start to see the book in a totally new way. The earlier events that that was narrated in the earlier chapters which seemed insignificant before now makes sense. But still... I'm disturbed by the world that the author has created. I am disturbed by the fact that society creates and destroy so easily for the sake of immortality. I am disturbed by the characters' resignation, their acceptance of their fate.

Those who are curious about what I'm talking about go get the book or if you're not up for it, go wiki the summary. The movie version, starring Keira Knightly, is scheduled to be released this year so maybe you can just wait for that. Am I going to watch it? Maybe.. we'll see. But whatever it is.. the author definitely left an impression on me and the book will linger on my mind for awhile. I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment