Friday, July 23, 2010

Of Reading,Spelling and my merapu-ness.

I've decided that I'm going to start teaching Azalia how to read. Sure she loves books. Everyday before going to sleep she insists on reading a book and she reads like.. a lot(although I know she memorises the stories and look at the pictures and not actually reading)yeah she can recognise a few words and sometimes I think she actually memorises them. But I want her to know how to read. Like proper reading. Like if I show her any word she would know.

She knows all her alphabets ages ago but now I want her to know how to put them together and form a word. Yes... reading. Not memorising, not just recognising w-a-t-e-r is water but knowing w-a is wa and t-e-r is ter and if there's w-a-f-e-r she would its wafer and not water. You get what I mean.

I might be too hard on her but then again...apparently primary school nowadays is was advances so I have to start now...takde dah 1+1 dah in primary 1.

I have nothing against flashcard but personally I think its more of memory rather than knowing how to spell. Yes.. I want her to know how to spell.

Reading with her will widen her vocabulary and phonics might help her to recognise the words but I want her to learn how to spell.

Yes spelling. I want to teach her how to spell and that will lead her to knowing how to read. Sure it'll take longer but I believe that it'll benefit her more in the long run.

I won't cast phonics aside altogether but I want to do both spelling and phonics together.

We started tonight and I think it won't go as smoothly as I hope because guess what... she inherited my ability to simply not ignore my mother and in her case.. I'm the mother so woe is me. I guess what goes around comes around.

Must.try.harder.No.Giving.Up.

Cikgu dengar.. mak tak dengar... aisehman. Oh yeah.. Azalia still attends her playgroup (alimkids playgroup) and she loves it and can't have enough of it. Kalau boleh tiap2 hari nak pergi rumah teacher Fatin.

No comments:

Post a Comment